A recipe for a tart, tangy cranberry sauce, balanced with wintery spices and naturally sweetened with dates.
4 Dates, Pitted
1 5cm piece Ginger, Fresh
3 Cardamon pods – de shelled
2 Cinnamon sticks
1/4 tsp Cloves, ground
1/2 tsp Nutmeg, ground
1 Star anise
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
350 ml Water
1 Orange – juiced and zested
300g cranberries – fresh or frozen
- Blend the pitted dates with the ginger and cardamon seeds in a blender with the water. This ensures a smoother sauce.
- Add all of the ingredients to a pot and simmer over a med – low heat for 15 – 20 mins. Until the cranberries have cooked down. *See notes for another cooking method.
- Once sauce has cooled slightly, mash to desired consistency with a fork or potato masher.
- Divide out into ice cube moulds or freezer proof pots.
- Freeze until ready to use!
Alternative method of cooking (and my preferred way). Add all the ingredients to a oven safe casserole dish and cook in oven for 20 mins at 180°C or 356°F
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
[…] more cranberry sauce into the […]