A combination on some of my favourite things; banana bread, blueberry muffins and loaf cakes.
This is a fairly quick and straightforward recipe that uses mainly store cupboard ingredients. You can also sub out the fresh blueberries for frozen if you need to.
I used Barley flakes as I came across them doing a order from Whole foods Online. They are a great site for finding quirky ingredients and buying stuff in bigger quantities. I tend to buy larger quantities of cashews, oats and rice.
Whats great about this loaf?
- Quick to make
- Low cost
- Not overly sweet
- Perfect for breakfast
- Great for a afternoon snack
- Egg, Dairy and Nut free.
- Portable – Snacks on the go? duh?!
Tips for a great Loaf:
Do NOT over-mix the batter.
I repeat, DO NOT overmix the batter!
You have probably heard this before, but it’s true! I made a batch of blueberry, lemon muffins whilst recipe testing a few months ago and they came out a bit too dense. Tasty, but dense. But when I tried them again—the only difference I made was; I mixed the batter waaay less—they came out much fluffier and lighter.
Don’t let those juicy bluebs sink!
Gently fold in the blueberries and seeds using a silicone spatula. To prevent the blueberries from sinking to the bottom and creating soggy-bottomed muffins – No one likes a soggy bottom! Especially Mary Berry….
Toss the blueberries in a few tablespoons of extra flour before adding them to the batter. But Meg, how does this work I hear you ask? Well, when you bake fruit, it releases its natural juices and sugars, so the extra flour that you’ve coated the blues in, absorbs some of that liquid and keeps the fruit in place. Genius right?Print
A Heart healthy, fibre packed breakfast loaf studded with juicy blueberries. Perfect for a weekend breakfast or a snack on the go.
- 120g or 1/2 cup Barley Flakes or Old fashioned oats
- 130g or 1 cup Wholemeal flour
- 50g or 1/4 cup brown sugar. (I use light brown)
- 40g or 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds. (or seed of your choice) Sunflower seeds would work well too.
- 2 Tsp Baking powder
- 1 Tsp Bicarbonate of Soda / Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 280g or 1 cup mashed banana
- 56ml or 1/4 cup Unsweetened Plant milk
- 56g or 1/4 cup Apple sauce
- 100g or 1/2 cup Fresh Blueberries
- Extra blueberries to top loaf
- 1 tbsp extra sugar to top loaf – for an added crunch
- Extra Barley Flakes / Oats to top
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F
- Grease a loaf pan or line with baking/parchment paper or a loaf tin liner.
- Mash the bananas by hand with a fork until a fairly smooth consistency has been reached.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add the apple sauce, banana and plant milk to the dry ingredients.
- *Mix until combined, until the flour is incorporated. Best practice for quick bread/loaf batters – Do not over mix – it causes the gluten proteins to create a ‘elastic batter’ = a loaf that won’t rise well.
- Fold in the fresh blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Optional: Add a few extra blueberries, extra sprinkle of sugar and barley flakes to the top of the loaf, and gently press into the mixture slightly.
- Bake at 180°C / 356°F for 50 – 55 minutes – until a skewer poked into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, and allow to cool slightly on a wire rack before slicing.
I baked mine in a 2lb loaf tin (approx 23cm long X 12.5cm wide / 9inches long x 5 inches wide
*If the batter is on the drier side when mixing (due to the wholemeal flour). Gradually add 3 – 4 tbsp extra of plant milk
The baking time may vary, depending on the power of your oven, I recommend cooking for the lower amount of time first, checking with a skewer and cooking for a further 5 minutes and cover with foil if needed to prevent it growing too much.
Lasts up to 3 days in a airtight container.
Can be frozen for up to 3 months. (it never lasts long enough here to freeze!) Freeze once completely cooled wrap slices in parchment or cling film in a freezer safe container. To defrost, thaw overnight in the fridge. If slightly soggy, toast lightly before serving again
Keywords: Breakfast, Breakfast Loaf, Healthy Snack
This post includes affiliate links and I will make a small commission if you purchase through it, at no extra cost to you ????