This intensely flavoured soup is warming, fragrant and vibrant. It’s also an absolute breeze to make and full of vitamin C, a perfect winter warmer!
500g sweet potatoes
2 medium-large oranges (Finely grated zest and juice of)
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp soy sauce
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
1/4 tsp Sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
- Peel the sweet potatoes, then cut into 2–3cm chunks and place in a medium-large saucepan.
- Add the orange zest and juice, sugar, soy sauce, garlic and spices.
- Pour in 500ml water and add some salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, until the sweet potato is completely tender.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and star anise.
- Now purée the soup until smooth. Either using a stick blender, or in a jug blender. (if using a jug blender you may have to blend in batches)
- Taste the soup and add more salt or pepper if needed.
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls.
- Top with chopped parsley a little finely sliced fresh red chilli, if you like.
Swaps: Replace the sweet potato with 500g peeled, deseeded squash. Swap chilli for paprika if you prefer less spice